Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus Feb/Mar 2005

Encouragement For Women

But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called today, so that none of you

may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. Hebrews 3:13

Hello, and welcome to the second issue of Encouragement for Women!

“Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His Glory and Grace.”

Words and Music by Helen H. Lemmel
1922

Over the past few years God has been sending me a simple message. “Keep your eyes on Jesus.” There is no mysterious imagery, no numbers or cultural inflections – just the facts. Since I keep receiving the same message through different scripture verses, people talking to me and sermons I’ve heard or worship songs – apparently I have turned the simple into complex. I have a knack for doing that. For example; I have a counter full of dirty dishes. Simple, wash them and then there is room for cooking, etc. Complex, “I don’t have time right now I must -----“. Then they pile up and then it takes twice or three times as long to complete what could have been a simple task. Here is one of the verses containing the simple message. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:2)

Since doing an Anne Grahm-Lotz study (The Vision of His Glory, Finding Hope through the Revelation of Jesus Christ) where you break verses down to facts, spiritual lessons and what they mean to you – I have gained a new passion in hearing from my Lord through his word. The facts are; Jesus is where my focus should be, my faith is created and made perfect through Jesus, because of Jesus’ joyful look at eternity, endured murder on my behalf, Jesus knew he would be cursed; He reigns with his heavenly Father. The spiritual lesson I derive from this verse is: Jesus is the all in all, Jesus loves me and suffered greatly for it and Jesus is God’s right hand man. Answering my own question of what it means to me is truly convicting. Is Jesus my all in all? If I say “yes” then why do I look to myself to figure things out? If I say “no” then how can I say Jesus is Lord? Do I accept Jesus’ suffering for me and my sin? If I say “yes” then how can I allow myself to be unrepentant? If I say “no” then how can I say “I love you Jesus”? Do I subject myself to God’s will & purposes like Jesus does? Here I can just confess the answer is no. Lord, give me a heart subject to you. I want to be a right –hand woman for God.

O soul are you weary and troubled? No light in the darkness you see? There's light for a look at the Saviour, And life more abundant and free. Chorus. Through death into life everlasting He passed, and we follow Him there; Over us sin no more hath dominion - For more than conquerors we are! Chorus. His Word shall not fail you - He promised; Believe Him, and all will be well;Then go to a world that is dying,His perfect salvation to tell. Chorus. Words by Helen H. Lemmel 1922

Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. Colossians 3:2

Have you ever “looked at life through rose tinted glasses?” Have you ever been wistful and filled to the brim with romance after reading a book or watching a movie? Have you ever caught yourself daydreaming about your life, but under different “better” circumstances? If you have, then you and I have something else in common. J

Do you know/remember this song by the Everly Brothers: “All I Have to Do Is Dream”… I can make you mine, taste your lips of wine, Anytime night or day,
Only trouble is, gee whiz I’m dreamin’ my life away.
Now I’m a big oldies fan. This song and “Cherish” were my favs. That is until a friend of mine and I were in my car (years ago) and she pointed out that the guy in this song was so filled with himself and in sin. I never sang along the same again. Recently I caught myself daydreaming about a house. Okay, I catch myself doing it a lot. And I came to realize, gee whiz – I’m dreaming MY life away.

Then I was convicted that I was not being content with what God HAD given me. Which I know is much to some and not much to others. But according to God I have what I need. Why is it that I daydream, escaping for a moment my life to something that I think is better? Well, our culture/society is no help with airbrushed models, swanky romance movies, Martha Stewart Living, cooking shows, etc., etc., etc. I also have yet to learn to be truly content like Paul when he said, “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.” (Philippians 4:12)

I desire to have a heart that is content and desires my Jesus above all, just like the Psalmist: “Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. ”- (Psalm 73:25-26) Lord, be our portion all day long!

24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. -1 Corinthians 9:24

A new lesson, well actually…a repeated lesson I am striving to learn from and grow on is related to the above scripture. The lesson is this; today’s victory cannot carry me into tomorrow. I need Jesus everyday. It is the same lesson Youth Pastors try to teach their students (yes, my Youth Pastor is where I first heard it) by saying, “mountain top experiences are challenged by valley living” or something to that effect. The spiritual “high” from camp will be tested the moment you walk into the door of your home or school.

Recently God gave me this “new to me” analogy. Imagine if you will an Olympic athlete who trains everyday, all year long. Each practice is treated as if it were the Olympic event. The athlete knows his opponent(s) and their strengths and weaknesses and practices to beat this/these opponent(s). Now imagine this same Olympic athlete has just won the Gold medal in his/her event. The athlete stops training, relishing in endorsements and fame. At the next competition this athlete will not do well and most likely will loose to his/her opponent(s).

Now look at the Believer in Christ Jesus who reads his/her Bible and prays every day, all year long. Each day is purpose filled and looked at with eternity in mind. The Believer knows their enemy and his weaknesses and tactics. The Believer “wins” a spiritual battle or staves off a temptation. Then stops or forgets to pray and read God’s scriptures. The next time this believer faces off with the enemy, he/she will not do well and most likely will fall to an attack or a temptation.

God’s word encourages and challenges us to 10… be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. (Ephesians 6)

** And Now for Something New**

I’d like to try something. I hope you’ll feel like participating. I would love it if everyone would read Hebrews 4:12, in whatever translation of the Bible you normally study. Then do the three steps that Ann Grahm-Lotz outlines in the study mentioned earlier. Here they are: (step one was to read) step 2- make a verse by verse list of the most obvious, outstanding facts. Don’t paraphrase. Step 3- Identify a spiritual lesson from each fact. Focus on spiritual lessons. Step 4- Rewrite the lesson from step 3 in the form of questions. Be personal as your formulate your questions. (Also, please include what version you studied).

Please email the complete steps 2-4 to me. I would like to compile them for an upcoming issue. Your names will not be included, just what God is speaking to all of us through His word. I think this will be really amazing!

Here’s to rejoicing before the Lord your God in everything you put your hand to! (Deuteronomy 12:18c)

(From the Feb/Mar Issue)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is It Possible To Be Truly Kind?

Bitterness & Forgiveness Bible Study 2010