April 2007

According to merriam-webster the English word fear can imply anxiety and loss of courage or profound reverence and awe especially toward God. So it is also safe to say that fear can be a great immobilizer or a great motivator. We can allow the anxiety of fear in our lives to cripple us whether it be based on experiences or be imagined. Or we can be moved by the awe of fearing God to propel us to holy living.

My son recently became aware of the idea of monsters, great thanks to the Curious George cartoon on PBS. I have begun my campaign to assure him that such creatures do not exist, but only in our minds. (Yes, I am aware of the supernatural demonic realm....) Thankfully God granted me wisdom in answering these many questions my three year old fired at me. I was amazed at one question/answer session. "Monsters don't exist." "But what if they do?" "They don't." "But what if they do?" "If monsters did exist and I saw one I would say, In the name of Jesus get out of here." This similar bantering went back and forth for some time. Finally my son accepted that because he belonged to Jesus, monsters couldn't bother him. He began practicing, "Get out of my room in Jesus' name." I was so proud.

I also added in my discussion with him that even if a monster did hurt me, it didn't matter because I would be in Heaven some day with God. That depth of that discussion still lies in still waters. But God really spoke to me through that statement. He was helping me to deal with my own fears. Due to past experiences and the images in my mind from television and movies, I have lived in fear. One day God gave me a new viewpoint on my fears. He revealed to me that though my body could be harmed, no one can change my place in God's kingdom as his daughter, nor take away his love for me. I should not loose life in constant worry, but live life in awe of him (Matthew 10:27-29). For the first time in my adult life I reasoned with myself over this and understood that anything could happen to me, but I would have Jesus to lean on and my final place is at home with the Lord in Heaven. My awe and reverence for my Heavenly Father began to outweigh my anxious mind.

Is fear keeping you from living life to the fullest? Or is fear propelling you to joyful existence? As we put our trust in Him and cling to his word we will not have to fear, fear itself.

10 For you are great and do marvelous deeds;
you alone are God.

11 Teach me your way, O LORD,
and I will walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.

12 I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart;
I will glorify your name forever.

Psalm 86:10-12

In Christ,

Elizabeth

Psalms on fear








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is It Possible To Be Truly Kind?

Bitterness & Forgiveness Bible Study 2010