November 2006

The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you. Sing praises to the LORD, enthroned in Zion; proclaim among the nations what he has done. (Psalm 9:9-11) I am beginning to know the Lord as my refuge and a stronghold. I am learning more names of God, like my provider, my redeemer, my salvation, my strength, my comfort, etc. and my heart at the same time is beginning to open up and trust him.

This issue I wish to touch on the topic of trust. We all trust God for and with different things. Sometimes we trust him with everything and sometimes we trust him with a few things. Sometimes we test him to see what we can truly trust him with. Miriam-Webster lists some synonyms of the word trust as; confidence, credence, faith and stock. Then lists some antonyms as; distrust, mistrust and near antonyms as; disbelief, incredulity, unbelief; doubt, dubiousness, incertitude, skepticism, suspicion and uncertainty.

God’s word has much to say about trust. I hope to encourage us to righteousness by incorporating much of the Psalms into this issue as I can. A woman recently told me that getting into God’s word is where I’m going to experience real life change. No doubt that is what Psalm 19:7 is referring to in saying …the statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. In order to make life changes I certainly need wisdom.

Also, what things daily are we putting our trust in? If my trust is in anything other than my Lord – it will fail me at some point. Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God (Psalm 20:7). I encourage you to look in your Bible at all the different names of the Lord. I know you’ll be able to identify with him even more as you read how he has revealed himself to many others and will to you. Do you know him as the only wise God, the Father of compassion, our advocate or comforter in sorrow? Maybe you know him as God of hope, the one who hears your prayers, the one who sustains you or the Lord your shield! He for sure is my sanctuary and my strong tower.

Trust is a deep heart issue. It is a dependence of absolutes. There are no half truths with our God. Therefore we should not have hearts divided with trust and doubt. Now, I realize you might be sitting there thinking, “That’s really bold and big of you to say”. Yes, it certainly is since I know I am guilty of being a “wave tossed about by the wind”. However, as I pass through my own trials I really am learning to trust him more. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song. (Psalm 28:7)

As we go about our daily routines, I hope that Psalm 40:3-5 can be our heart’s prayer/declaration. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD. Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods. Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.

May our confidence, credence, faith and stock be in the Lord our God as we put aside our distrust and mistrust. Hide his word in your hearts so that you may not be overcome with disbelief, incredulity, unbelief; doubt, dubiousness, incertitude, skepticism, suspicion and uncertainty. My sisters, delight yourselves in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun (Psalm 37:4-6).

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Some of you may be wondering why I didn’t mention anything about reading through the Bible in my intro as usual. Well, to be honest I was just going to drop it since I lamely lost sight of that goal and feel ashamed that I couldn’t even do it when I am asking you to accept the challenge. I guess this is a good example of things that happen when the challenge isn’t all for God’s glory and more for sheer accomplishment. For those of you who have stayed the course, BRAVO and praise be to our God for your faithfulness in meeting him each day in his word!

I can hardly believe that this year is almost over! If any of you who read this newsletter would like to contribute something for an end of the year EFW issue, please email it my way before the end of this month. Also, it would be cool to put together a prayer request list for a New Year’s prayer. If you would email me something you desire prayer over I will compile a list for EFW (it would be a list of prayer requests only, no names at all). Then we could pray for one another as the year ends and a new one begins.

In Christ,

Elizabeth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is It Possible To Be Truly Kind?

Bitterness & Forgiveness Bible Study 2010