March 2006

Welcome to the March issue of EFW! You and I should be making some good progress on reading through the Bible…a little bit each day! Well, winter is almost behind us and the newness of spring shall begin to blossom. This issue is about being a servant.

The Toughest Job…

I think being a servant is the absolute toughest job on earth. You are required to do much work and receive no thanks for it, all to please your master. Thankfully as believers our master is our loving Father in heaven. Yet, because of our prideful flesh – the job is one we really struggle with.

When I was in high school I found a man’s wallet in the dairy aisle of a grocery store. It was “fat” with cash; he must’ve just cashed his paycheck. I was a young believer and took it to the customer service desk assuming I would be handsomely rewarded. As my Mom was checking out the man claimed his wallet and I saw the customer service clerk point to me. The man waved a sort of “thanks alot” kind of wave and out the door he walked. My joy in doing something good changed to bitterness because I was not rewarded. My motive was not to glorify God it was purely selfish in that I wanted to be glorified with some cash dollars.

Now as a wife and mother I see myself doing the same thing. I am seeking rewards and thank you’s for what I should be doing simply to serve my family. As women we are asked to “wear many hats” and often times we want to be recognized for what we are doing and how much. Though we are not to be doormats for abuse and neglect, the goal is that whatever we do, whether in word or deed, we are to do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him (Colossians 3:17).

May we be found ready (Luke 12:35-39) and willing as servants of the most high God. We are told in God’s word to do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than ourselves (Philippians 2:3). May we have the same attitude of Jesus (Philippians 2:4-11) and not that our self-filling flesh.

In Christ,

Elizabeth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is It Possible To Be Truly Kind?

Bitterness & Forgiveness Bible Study 2010