Gripe Water

Our family recently welcomed our third child, a girl, named Karisa Hope. The Lord, in His amazing mercy to me chose to make her an “easy” child. She is very mellow, sleeps mostly through the night and is very content to sit in her bouncy seat and take life in. She rarely ever cries for anything other than the usuals-hunger, diaper change or discomfort. There are times, however, when she is uncomfortable and deals with a bit of colic in the evenings. A good friend told me about gripe water, something I had never heard of, and this is my third child. Gripe water is made of ginger and fennel and helps to soothe upset stomachs….and it works wonders when Karisa’s colic is present.

While my mom was visiting she made a comment about the amusing name of “gripe water.” I joked back that it was too bad the children of Israel didn’t have any when they were wandering and complaining….and then the Lord reminded me that I do a fair share of complaining myself. I realized that His Word is my gripe water and helps to soothe my attitude. So what are some of the verses that are my gripe water?

I Cor. 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

Psalm 68:19 Blessed be the Lord who daily bears our burdens, the God of our salvation.

Phil 4:6-7 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Oh the power of the Word of God! I am so thankful that the Lord is gracious and merciful to me and through his Holy Spirit reminds me of verses that help me to refocus. When I am thinking on Him and his Word it is very difficult to find something to complain about.

So, do you have any gripe water verses? Do you have them memorized so that when you’re tempted to complain you can quickly ingest the water of the Word? Why suffer from discomfort when you have the best source of gripe water readily available? And this source never runs out……

Comments

  1. My first was a colicky baby and we certainly knew gripe water! Ours also had dill and we affectionately called it "pickle juice". I love this post and am trying myself to memorize some "pickle juice" to help my insides (my heart and mind) calm down as I face daily struggles! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting:

Popular posts from this blog

Is It Possible To Be Truly Kind?

Bitterness & Forgiveness Bible Study 2010