Salutations!

A salutation as defined by Merriam-Webster is: an expression of greeting, goodwill, or courtesy by word, gesture, or ceremony...

Have you ever noticed however that we use a few greetings/salutations that are neither of goodwill or otherwise? Such as, "How are you?" or "How are you doing?" This used to be a question of which a genuine response was expected. However, now it is used as a greeting and salutation with an expected scripted response.

How are you? How are you doing? We begin letters and emails this way too. When used in a letter or email there is more time for the responder to elaborate. Either the responder chooses to give a surface level answer or one that shows the reality of one's disposition. When used as a verbal salutation however, one doesn't usually expect an out-of-the-ordinary response. Those ordinary responses are usually; "fine, great, okay, can't complain" or the like and is also immediately followed up with the parroting back, "how are you?" Rinse, lather, repeat.

This is no new revelation to me, I have simply begun to be really perturbed by it and am trying to break the mold - for myself anyways. For I have also noticed that this is a disturbing cover-up in the church as well. If someone gives you an out-of-ordinary answer such as; "terrible, I am a mess, or my life is in shambles or my marriage is falling apart" or what have you - then normally we are stunned and often don't know how to responded. We are so accustomed to not listening to the response and jumping to our parroted and cleverly scripted roles.

This is a rut for sure and it is incredibly difficult to crawl out of. I know, because I am trying and still I do it as much as any. I would rather that I ask the question and be genuine about it. Then be ready for any answer and be willing to listen and pray with someone and help them if I can. Lord, help me to have a genuine heart and not just a rehearsed salutation and response!

If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence. I John 3:17-19



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is It Possible To Be Truly Kind?

Bitterness & Forgiveness Bible Study 2010