You Can Change Biblically

6 As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, 7 rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.
8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. 9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; 10 and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power. Colossians

When I became a Christian there were things that immediately changed in me. I was acutely aware of my speech, I lost my desire to attend parties where alcohol was being served and my music collection was greatly sifted. No one asked me to do these things, no one told me to. These were just things that I was overly motivated to do. I believe it was the work of the Holy Spirit, guiding me to live a life pleasing to God.

The sad thing is that after a number of years some things crept back in. Dance clubs, social parties - just not getting drunk, concerts and the purchase of music that did not lead my heart to worshiping God. All those things are just external things that over time affected my internal being. (I am not making lists of things you or anyone else should stop doing or can't do. I am relating my experience of how the closer I drew to God through his Word, the less I wanted to participate in or acquire the aforementioned things. If you, or anyone else should draw near to God - naturally there will be changes. No one need tell you to do them. You are only compelled out of love). The longer I was a Christian it seemed the more things seeped in. I didn't really think things like lyrics mattered as much, since I was a "tenured" Christian. It isn't like I wasn't going to love God anymore. The only time these things didn't vibe well with me was when I was partaking in a Bible Study. It showed I truly loved myself more than I loved God.

7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. 9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Galatians 6

Embarrassingly enough I don't think it was until recently that I made the connection. As I read, studied and memorized God's word all those things that didn't seem so bad lost their sheen. Eventually I wasn't as interested in them or not at all. Then as Bible Studies ended and my discipline to read on my own waned, the things that don't edify me became interesting again. The change that leads to living right with God comes as we are in fellowship with him. If we say we love him, then we'll follow his commands. Writing God's word on the tablet of our hearts isn't a suggestion. It is a command. We cannot please God on our own. We make choices to serve ourselves, reading God's word leads us to serve God. God's word is the key to change. After all, Jesus is the word of God in flesh.

What God's Word is Like - What God's Word does in us
perfect - converting the soul
sure - making wise the simple
right - rejoicing the heart
pure - enlightening the eyes
clean - enduring forever

(Psalm 19:7-11)

In Christ,
Elizabeth

P.S. The Holy Spirit is our helper. As we read God's word he enlightens our ability to understand what it says. Without the Holy Spirit's gentle guiding we do not read the word of God with a pierced heart placing ourselves as living sacrifices before the living God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is It Possible To Be Truly Kind?

Bitterness & Forgiveness Bible Study 2010