Joy

Joy.

Since I grew up in a Christian home and sat under good, Bible-based teaching for most of my life I have heard many sermons on this topic. I can quote the cute little acrostic Jesus, Others, You, and know that joy can only extend from a relationship with the Lord. However, I cannot recall ever learning that Jesus tied joy to anything except….keeping His commandments. Last week, while working on my Bible study these verses registered in my heart and mind with new clarity.

John 15:10-11 "If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.”

Keeping His commandments? In my flesh I immediately ask “Well, where’s the fun in that? How in the world does that work…. How does keeping a strict set of commandments bring joy, a sense of deep happiness?” But then I look at the passage and begin to reflect on my life.

Those times when I thought I knew best, when I was doing what I wanted to do, it only brought emptiness. I would go to bed at night with a sense of sadness questioning, what had I spent my life doing all day? Vanity, vanity....

However, on those days when, through the empowering of the Holy Spirit, I was following the Lord - obeying His commandments, (e.g. serving others, spending time in communion with him, worshipping Him), it was at those points that I was experiencing true joy. I might go to bed exhausted…..but joyful.

Everyday I am struggling to apply this principle to my life: my day to day life with two sons, age 3 and 1. I am having to die to myself to serve them, stop working on my to-do list so that I can pay attention to their needs, respond in a loving, patient way when they interrupt me, replying with kindness to their umpteenth question even though I feel like I have already answered 50,000 throughout today, happily making a meal and cleaning up, and patiently pray with the 3 year old before bed when he wants to pray for everything!

You know what…..it’s working! Following the commandments of my Lord does produce joy. The more I chose to walk His path and apply His principles the more content and joyful I am. It’s not always easy, but it’s the only thing that truly ‘works.’

Wow, yet another illustration of God’s ways being so much better than ours (Isaiah 55: 8-9)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is It Possible To Be Truly Kind?

Bitterness & Forgiveness Bible Study 2010