What's In a Name?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". Romeo and Juliet ( Quote Act II, Sc. II).

It is no doubt that you have heard this either in the theater, in school, reading Shakespeare yourself, or someone somewhere quoting it. If you are new to this line in Shakespeare...perhaps it might interest you to read it for yourself in full. The past few days I have been thinking about the name Christian. Here are some of my thoughts regarding this subject...

As a believer in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour - I/you/we have the title/name Christian. If you live in Washington state you are a Washingtonian - meaning of/from/within Washington. Here is what Merriam-Webster online describes Christian as:

Etymology:Latin christianus, adjective & noun, from Greek christianos, from Christos 1 a: one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ b (1): disciple 2 (2): a member of one of the Churches of Christ separating from the Disciples of Christ in 1906 (3): a member of the Christian denomination having part in the union of the United Church of Christ concluded in 1961.


When I first began applying for jobs I remember in interviews saying I was a Christian. When I told the interviewer this, I implied many things. Mostly that I would do my best, I wouldn't do inappropriate things in the workplace and the like. Usually I got a nod - as one does when a good interviewer shows no emotion. However, as an older applicant in a more diverse city I answered a question with, "Well, I am a Christian...." and the whole tone of the interview changed. No longer were the two interviewers interested in my skills they were only curious and doubtful about my ability to fit into their workplace.

My follow up interview was grueling. I was there for an hour at least, I was in a conference room where one by one at least six different people came in to question me on diversity, how I would react to and handle different situations with people of all different sexual orientations, appearances, etc. I was honest and to some of their descriptions I confessed I would be taken a back at first - but could compose myself. I also included that I knew what it was like to be discriminated against for my faith. Though they failed to see my point that they were doing to me what they feared I would do to their clientèle. They were a small workforce of very politically sexually diverse individuals and just didn't want a Christian around. I realized later that I had cause to report them for their violation of fair hiring laws. Their application said that they would not discriminate based on faith.

15For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. 16a To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. (II Corinthians)

Christian, regardless of the dictionary definition or the Bible's definition the people we meet have their own definitions. If a non-believer in Jesus Christ who has experienced God's love through a Christian - then their definition is a positive one. However, if their experience was one filled with rage, fear, hatred, judgment or the like - then their definition of all Christians fall into a rather negative definition. Many people have family members or church leaders that they looked up to or relied on for safety, love and protection. Sadly, many have been let down by those who profess to be like Christ.

It is a sobering thought to think we are representing Christ to the world! Some pastors have said, "You may be the on 'Jesus' that some people may ever meet." Which can completely determine if some people will ever rely on Jesus. That grips my heart! Who have I misrepresented Jesus to? Have I been worthy to call myself a Christian? Do I fear what others believe and fail to proclaim my connection with Christ?

There was a time when I prayed everyday, "Lord, help me to be a living sacrifice to you." Everyday to give up my SELF for what will glorify my Lord Jesus. I want that heart again. I want to live as a Christian, in a way that is pleasing to God, that glorifies his name and shows everyone I know/meet that God is able to save and heal the hearts of men/women.

Fellow Christians, may your hearts burn as well as we seek to live lives in total worship of the living God!

In Christ,

Elizabeth



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is It Possible To Be Truly Kind?

Bitterness & Forgiveness Bible Study 2010