January 2007

Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12

It is good, really good that God doesn’t always give us the things we hope for. Wehave all longed and hoped for things that would be beneficial, inspirational, self-serving, injurious to self or others (Job 6) or just good old fashioned revenge (Romans 12:19). These are the things that I praise Him for not giving me.

But there are the hopes and longings of our heart of hearts, those things we must continue to hope for, not giving up our confidence in Him (Hebrews 10:35-36). Renewed hunger for God’s word (Psalm 119:48, 88, 119, 167), living loving lives (John 14:15, 15:10, I John 2:3), our relationships healed, rest when we are weary and the like.

If we fail to trust God to be committed to taking care of our every need, then we have lost all hope. There is no heart need that cannot be fulfilled by the loving God we serve. I am coming to grips with this trust area. I have not been found trusting and God has given me hope and a promise. I am waiting on a promise God gave me concerning a very big heart need. My marriage is in the healing hands of our loving Heavenly Father. He has promised me that he will breathe his spirit into my marriage and give it life anew (Ezekiel 37:11-14).

This has been a long time coming. Not God’s healing – but my doubt being melted away by the hope that God promises in his word. But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint (Isaiah 40:31). I find that the more scripture I keep near my heart, the more and more my heart is not weary and I enjoy the peace that surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:6-8).

As you face 2007 is there something you’ve lost hope for? A real heart need that you just can’t believe God could do anything for? Are you unwilling to let Him take it because the risk of getting hurt or embarrassed is too great? If so, I completely understand. I would like to impress upon you however that the more we try to protect ourselves the more we become focused inward. Too inward of a focus keeps us from living lives in the spirit (Galatians 5:16-26). Truth is we are going to be embarrassed and get hurt by others. If we place our whole selves in the hands of God, then healing will be deep and we can forgive. If we are wrapped only in ourselves, we most likely become bitter and miss out on seeing God glorified in us.

Consider placing all your hope in the God who formed you in your mother’s womb (Psalm 139:12-14).

Most sincerely,

Elizabeth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is It Possible To Be Truly Kind?

Bitterness & Forgiveness Bible Study 2010