October 2006

Hola! Welcome to the October issue – again, sorry it is so delayed. How goes your reading adventure through the Bible? I confess to have let some dust accumulate on mine from time to time! Lame, but true. I’d like to share this month with you about surrender.

One definition of this verb, surrender is; to give up completely or agree to forgo especially in favor of another (according to Merriam-Webster). I’ve chosen this subject because I seem to have a really difficult time with this one. I think the life of a believer in Christ could be summed up simply in this one theme. Not my will, but thy will be done. Jesus prayed that in the garden of Gethsemane as he was seeking God’s face before facing the Cross. I’d like to pray that more often!

When God reveals something to me through his word, I am so ecstatic. That is until I realize what it usually will require of me. The actuality of surrendering my heart, my emotions, my plans, my hurts, my rights is often overwhelming. The bottom line is this, what is it about me that makes this so difficult? I can only surmise that it has to with the grudges in my heart against others – amongst other things. Oh, and how about that fact that I fail to spend time healing my heart everyday in God’s word.

“I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, O LORD; teach me your decrees.” (Psalm 119:10-12) Lord, help me to seek you with a whole heart so that I might not stray! Dear friends, I hope this is your prayer today/tonight too! As we draw near to God, he promises to draw near to us – isn’t that so amazing? (James 4:8)

Here is a portion of a hymn I really like, and as I type the words they seem even more profound word by word. “All to Jesus I surrender, Make me, Savior, wholly Thine; Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit, Truly know that Thou art mine. All to Jesus I surrender, Lord, I give myself to Thee; Fill me with Thy love and power, Let Thy blessing fall on me.” (Jud­son W. Van De­Vent­er)

As a Mother I have a clear view of how my walk with the Lord affects others. Really, everyone we come into contact with is affected in some way by our relationship with God and the state of that relationship. Writing this newsletter/journal is great because it is like my own “confessional”, God speaks to me often at this keyboard…

In Christ,

Elizabeth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is It Possible To Be Truly Kind?

Bitterness & Forgiveness Bible Study 2010