June 2006

Welcome to the June Issue of EFW! This month is a heavy hitter on the topic of rebellion. Rebellion is described by Merriam-Webster as opposition to one in authority and also as an open formidable resistance that is often unsuccessful. Do you know the Tom Petty song, “Into the Great Wide Open”? Well, in it is a phrase that I love – “A rebel without a clue” (I’ll spare you all the lyrics) which I think is a perfect description of myself when I choose to do my own thing against God’s word.

When we read about the Israelites we find all sorts of rebellious deeds by both women and men. I’m always finding myself scoffing at them for their inability to heed God’s instructions for holy living. Yes, God quickly reminds my heart of my own personal rebellion. For those of us who are Mothers or caretakers of children, we know the absolute down and dirty definition of rebellion. Knowing I guess should be half the battle. But then why knowing the ridiculousness of rebellion – do we find our hearts choosing to go our own way forsaking what we know God’s word says?

Solomon, the wise had this to say in his book of Ecclesiastes (12:13-14), “Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil. Our whole duty is to please and glorify God and all wisdom begins with the fear of the Lord, hmmm. This is head knowledge for me, but often my heart balks and challenges what God’s spirit is saying to me through his word and prayer.

I am thankful that God is always pursuing me/us! Tonight I really got mad at my son for spilling baby massage oil on my bed, I came unglued. As I saw him there with the bottle I heard a small voice begin, but I charged at my son filled with anger. The voice of God’s spirit grew louder and kept me from saying anything that would destroy my son’s self esteem. I heard the voice continue by telling me to make an apology hasta pronto. Well, it took me some time as my infant was screaming during all this and I couldn’t pick him up – I was frazzled! However, as I tucked my oldest in for nigh-nigh I held his hand and apologized for speaking to him so mean and he asked me for a kiss – I take it as his forgiveness. I had rebelled against that still soft voice, “do not sin in your anger…” and had to pay the price of my son’s big sad eyes. Praise God for repentance and forgiveness.

In Christ,

Elizabeth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is It Possible To Be Truly Kind?

Bitterness & Forgiveness Bible Study 2010