July 2006

Happy 4th! Hope you are all enjoying the freedom that comes from knowing Christ as your personal Savior and wisdom from God’s word! Today I sit at the computer humbled and greatly in need of Jesus’ loving arms. I don’t know if you can relate, but it seems like as the years go by trials get bigger and lessons to be learned even bigger. I wish to share with you something about which I lack much of, the fear of the Lord – the beginning of wisdom.

King Solomon penned this in Ecclesiastes (Chp.12), “13 Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil. Richard Mayhue in his book, Practicing Proverbs Wise Living for Foolish Times describes fear of the Lord as this; “On the one hand, there is the sweet awe, reverence and submission to the Lord in whom a true believer delights because of his steadfast love (Ps 118:4). On the other hand, there is a proper dread and fear of God’s response to sin and iniquity (Ps 119:120).” He goes on to say there are four types of people in relation to the fear of the Lord. They are; those who have no fear, those who fear consequences of their sin, but reject God. There are those who care about their sin, but without having a right relationship with God and those who affectionately fear God because of their redemption and wish to minimize sin in their lives (44-45).

I was disturbed to put myself into his division, where exactly do I fit in? Well, I didn’t reject God and I do have some fear. I do know that after proclaiming “the year to read through the Bible” that I have greatly struggled with reading daily. I do know that as Houston became more and more a permanent placement, I found myself less and less involved in prayer and less and less in seeking out the sweet times with the Lord. I have become a resounding gong, pleading my cause before the Lord. I know he loves me and hears every word, but I know his heart breaks that I have lost my fear and sweet awe of him. If this is you too, please pray the following prayer with me concerning our hearts!

Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. Psalm 86:11

In Christ,

Elizabeth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is It Possible To Be Truly Kind?

Bitterness & Forgiveness Bible Study 2010